FreeWheelingLogo-1 copy.jpg

"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive"      - Sir William Lyons -   Jaguar Cars founder & CEO

Clark Gable - XK120.jpg

Clark Gable's 1954 Jaguar XK120  OTS 

 In 1948, William Lyons, Jaguar’s founder, created one of the most innovative and captivating cars of the era. The XK120 was so modern, it established Lyons as a legend in his own lifetime. The actual design took three months and a hand-built prototype was completed in time for the 1948 Earls Court Motor Show. And at 120 mph, it was the sustained top speed of the new car.

The XK 120 was competition ready, and was the fastest production car in the world achieving 132.6 mph when first introduced.  With a 0 to 60 mph in ten seconds, and a quarter mile in seventeen, the XK120 dominated immediate post-war racing. It handled superbly and had a successful racing history. Sixty percent of production ended up in the U.S. The engine design was so advance, it was used until 1985.

MGM Studios purchased this car for Clark Gable. They had the Los Angeles dealer install the Borrani wire wheels. The car was actually registered to the studio, as was customary, but maintained for Gable’s use exclusively. MGM
subsequently sold the car to long-time set designer, who restored it in 1981.

A complete frame-off restoration has just been completed by Special Cars Only of Oldsmar, Florida. The Jaguar won Best Of Class Award at the 2006 Amelia Island
Concours d’Elegance.

Clark Gable's '54 120 - CROPPED.jpg
275 for FW 1.jpg

1967 Ferrari 275 GTB/4 Alloy                 

Chassis Number 10269

Introduced at the 1964 Paris Motor Show, the 275 GTB replaced the 250 GT Berlinetta Lusso. The most important new mechanical features of the 275 GTB were the rear-mounted gearbox and independent rear suspension. Ferrari already had plenty of experience of both systems in their competition cars, so the technology filtered through to the road models. 

The 275 GTB was more aggressive in appearance than its predecessor. Fabled designer Pininfarina designed the body, and coachbuilder Scaglietti constructed it. These sleek-nosed, Kamm-tailed grand tourers from the mid-Sixties were dubbed by Road & Track “the most satisfying sports car in the world” back then.

 

This car is a 275 GTB/4. Introduced in 1966, the 275 GTB/4 was an updated version of the early 275 GTB. Power came from a substantially reworked 221 kW (300 PS) 3,285.72 cc Colombo V12, still with two valves per cylinder but now with four cams and six carburetors. 

 

Most examples were built in steel with aluminum doors, hood, and trunk lid. However, a handful of examples – including this particular car – received full aluminum alloy bodies. Although Ferrari built 330 275 GTB/4 coupés in the 1966-1968 period, only 16 of these were bodied in aluminum panels. 

 

This example was fully restored in 2015. It wears its original colors, Giallo Fly (Fly Yellow) with black leather trim. The car is a multiple Platinum (Best in Class) award winner at shows sanctioned by the Ferrari Club of America. 

275 for FW 3.jpg
275 for FW 2.jpg

1966  Porsche  906-158  Fuel injected.       

Logo.jpg

As the new head of Porsche Racing and development, Ferdinand Piech's vision to create an entirely new generation of race cars resulted in the spectacular Carrera 6, known internally as the Typ 906.  Developed in a wind tunnel, the shape was both beautiful and curvaceous, while maintaining a drag coefficient of only 0.35.  Among the very last of the 906's built, this particular example is one of only 4 long nose, short tail, fuel injected models produced. 

906 - B jpg.jpg
906 -A.jpg

1957  Mercedes-Benz  300SL

Mercedes 300 SL cropped .jpg

This 1957 Mercedes Benz 300SL  Roadster was completed on June 28, 1957.  It was the 13th roadster produced and the 5th imported to the U.S.  Part of what makes this car so interesting is that it has many carry over features of the outgoing gullwing that later roadsters do not have.  This roadster had only two prior owners before it was discovered in a barn in Ohio with the engine in the trunk.  A thorough restoration was completed in the summer of 2005, which was rewarded with a Best of Show at the Gullwing National Convention in San Diego.  

1963  Corvette  Split-window coupe

car-pic-2.jpg

1963 was a defining year in Corvette history.  It was the beginning of the 2nd generation design referred to as the C2.  This generation spanned from 1963 through the 1967 model year, and represented several significant changes from the earlier C1 generation:

  • A totally redesigned body that was labeled “Stingray” for its streamline features resembling the sea creature of the same name.

  • The first coupes were introduced and made up almost half the 1963 production. 

  • Greater horsepower options were available up to 360 HP in the fuel injected (fuelie) model.

  • Independent suspension that greatly improved ride and handling.

 

The 1963 split window coupe is unique among not only the C2 generation, but among the entire Corvette lineup from its inception in 1953 to the latest mid-engine design that was introduced in 2020.  The split rear window makes this model easily identifiable in that it was produced for only that single year.  While that feature enhanced the body lines it also obstructed the drivers rear view vision to the point that it was replaced by a single rear window glass in 1964.

 

The design beauty of the 63 split window coupe along with its rarity makes this model possibly the most collectable of all vintage Corvettes.

 

1965 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint Speciale C

1965 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint Speciale

Alfa Romeo collaborated with Bertone to produce a series of Berlinetta Aerodinamica Technica studies that produced three concept cars: the B.A.T. 5, 7 and 9.

Inspired by this partnership, the Bertone-designed Sprint Speciale appeared 1957. It was a very streamlined car and achieved a record (for a production car) .28 coefficient of drag, not bested for over 20 years. It was capable of 125mph with power coming from a potent 1.6-litre DOHC engine. There were only 1400 examples produced.

This particular matching numbers car received a comprehensive restoration around 12 years ago and is finished in its original color of Blu Medio.

Shelby Cobra 427,  CSX 3245

IMG_0335.jpg
Cobra Photo 2.jpg

The first 427 was produced in the Fall of 1964.  There were 364 cars made in total between 1964 and 1967.  The chassis and suspension were one of the first cars to be designed on a computer at Ford Motor Company.  The hood, trunk and doors, are basically interchangeable between the 289 and 427, the headlights and taillight centers are the same, the front and rear fenders are larger to accept wider wheels and tires to handle the horsepower and torque of the larger engine.  There are several different variants of the car, from full race competition cars to more basic street cars.  There were 3 different variants on the wheels, and four different variants on the body.  The first 154 cars had square taillights, and the remaining 210 had double round taillights.  Competition cars came with larger wheel wells, roll bars, hood scoop, competition gas filler and larger 42-gallon fuel tank, and side pipes.  Those were all accessories that could be added at the factory to street cars.  Of the 364 427 cobras built, 100 were actually 428 engines instead of 427’s.  It is the most popular replicated car on the planet.

1965 Jaguar  4.2L     E-type

Jaquar_5220 (1) Cropped.jpg
1965 clearJaguar (1).jpg

Soon to come:  more FreeWheeling special collection display cars.